Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chinese Mary and Baby Jesus Painting

I came across this image when searching for Asian Christian artists a while back. Though the painting doesn't fit the blog parameters of performing artists or writers, I thought it was interesting. I have never seen a picture like this before. As you can tell, it depicts Mary, the mother of Jesus, and baby Jesus as Chinese. I guess I'm used to seeing them portrayed as white. But then I came across a picture of the pair as black people. It's interesting to see how different cultures claim these two Jewish persons as their own. In a way, it shows that Christianity crosses cultural lines and is not just for the Western world.

I don't know who painted this picture. When I looked for it again on the Internet, I couldn't find it. Does anyone know more about it?

2 comments:

  1. I just came back from Beijing. While there I attended Catholic Mass at the Southern Cathedral (Church of the Immaculate Conception). After Mass I went to the gift shop and came across a larger version of this image. There are two Chinese character in the upper right hand corner of the image I have, it looks like your image has been cropped.
    From Mike M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I searched and found your page I found the painting again on this site.

    http://thejesusquestion.org/2011/09/26/the-jesus-sutras-part-8-the-virgin-mo-yan/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments or questions here.